Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Get Out of the Boat

Before Suzanne and I were married she went with my family on a boating trip. One thing to understand is that my family had never owned a boat up until that time. So it’s not like my dad was the big sailor. He was more like Gilligan, not the Skipper.

After our three-hour tour we made our way back to the boat dock. We were traveling faster than we should while coming inland. Upon realizing the speed of our approach my dad suddenly pulled back on the throttle causing the bow (front end) to be submerged under water where most of the passengers were sitting. We were going under and people were screaming. It was like the Titanic. In the end were we alright as the boat and its passengers (along with a few gallons of water) drifted to shore. I’m still amazed Suzanne married me after that incident.

Upon thinking of this story I’m reminded of when Jesus called Peter to come out of the boat to where he stood on the water. Without hesitation Peter jumped out and walked toward his Savior and Friend. Before he arrived to the place Jesus stood Peter became distracted by the waves. He was so focused on the distractions that he got his eyes off his Savior. This caused him to sink. Jesus was there to pull him up.

I know there are many distractions in our Worship & Arts ministry. Let me encourage you to keep your eyes off the distractions. Jesus has called you out of the boat, out of the ordinary. You have something extraordinary to do each worship service. Let’s not allow the distractions to keep us from reaching our Savior.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Powerade Coupons